What to do when you are having a panic attack...

The first time I had a full blown panic attack I thought I was dying. I was convinced I was having a heart attack, it was the most petrifying experience and I had no idea what to do. Fortunately I was with people who were able to help calm me and control my breathing. Since then I have found certain things help during an attack and I wanted to share them.

1. If you can get to somewhere quiet and uncrowded then do. 
2. control your breathing. The best way to do this is to breath into a paper bag or something similar. I always carry a folded up paper bag that pharmacies give prescriptions in- it's perfect for this. If you don't have that then count as you are breathing to steady it.
3. Look at your surroundings and name things you can see, smell, touch and hear.
4. Alternatively you could name street names where you live, Spice Girls songs or animals... anything that occupies your mind and helps to ground you. Or you could listen to a particular song or audiobook to give you something familiar to focus on.
5. Have a sit down and rest, drink some water, don't rush yourself to move until the anxiety has passed.
6. Remind yourself that this is temporary and will soon pass.
7. Don't feel embarrassed or ashamed.
8. You got through it, you are a warrior!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.