December reading round up...


I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh
'In a split second, Jenna Gray's world descends into a nightmare. Her only hope of moving on is to walk away from everything she knows to start afresh. Desperate to escape, Jenna moves to a remote cottage on the Welsh coast, but she is haunted by her fears, her grief and her memories of a cruel November night that changed her life forever.'
I found this a little slow to start but there was a huge twist half way through I didn't see coming and then the story picked up. Overall I enjoyed it but a few of the twists went a little too far to be believable and were just plain silly. 3/5

The Window Man by Louise Millar (audiobook)

This was a short story I got free from Audiable. Read by my favourite narrator Clare Corbett. I'd previously listened to her read a Millar book that I loved and this was a good, suspenseful short story that I enjoyed. 4/5

The Mistletoe Murder and Other Stories by P.D. James

'As the acknowledged 'Queen of Crime', P. D. James was frequently commissioned by newspapers and magazines to write a special short story for Christmas. Four of the best of these have been drawn from the archives and published here. P. D. James' prose illuminates each of these perfectly formed stories, making them ideal reading for the darkest days of the year. '
I really enjoyed this book- four cosy mysteries that were full of suspense and very festive. I'll definitely be getting this book out every Christmas. 4/5
[Note to self: must read even number of books]

Christmas Days: 12 Stories and 12 Feasts for 12 Days by Jeanette Winterston

'For years Jeanette Winterson has loved writing a new story at Christmas time and here she brings together twelve of her brilliantly imaginative, funny and bold tales. For the Twelve Days of Christmas—a time of celebration, sharing, and giving—she offers these twelve plus one: a personal story of her own Christmas memories.'
This one was a mixed bag for me- there were some really lovely festive stories in here but there were also some duds. Overall I enjoyed it but I preferred the P.D. James one more.
3/5

The Winter Children by Lulu Taylor (audiobook)

'Olivia and Dan Felbeck are blissfully happy when their longed-for twins arrive after years of IVF. At the same time, they make the move to Renniston Hall, a huge, Elizabethan house that belongs to absent friends. Living rent-free in a small part of the unmodernised house, once a boarding school, they can begin to enjoy the family life they've always wanted. But there is a secret at the heart of their family, one that Olivia does not yet know. And the house, too, holds its darkness deep within it . . .'
I ended up dnf-ing this about 3 hours in as it was boring me to death!

Favourite single issues...

Batman holiday annual, Gwenpool Holiday Special & Motor Crush issue 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.