April & March reading round up...


Because I've been snowed under with uni work I didn't get much read in March, so decided to just combine it with my April reading...

Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham
I approached this book a little apprehensively- I gave up on Dunham's show Girls midway through series 2 as all the characters in it frustrated the hell out of me. Spoilt, entitled, and self absorbed I couldn't take anymore! I wanted to read her book as it had been praised by both Caitlin Moran and Miranda July (two of my favourite writers). Written as a series of essays split into different topics (love, work, body etc...) these were mainly anecdotal. They started off entertaining enough but I did eventually tire of Dunham's need for attention at all times (her story about her sister coming out and Lena blabbing to their parents first really annoyed me!) . I didn't find much of her life personally relateable but the book was decently written, unfortunately it just didn't really grab me. 2/5

Disclaimer by Renee Knight
This was a decent enough thriller about a woman who receives a novel only to start reading and realise the main character is her. I guessed the end but I thought the story was good and it managed to make both main characters likeable and unlikeable at different points. The main theme was family and relationships which was covered in an honest way, and I felt was probably the books strongest point. 3/5

Bossypants by Tina Fey
After enjoying Yes Please! by Amy Poehler I felt like it made sense to read this. I ending up listening to the audiobook of this which was a great decision because I felt like it made the book a lot more enjoyable. Fey's narration was natural and very funny- there were a lot of laugh out loud moments in this. Overall I really enjoyed it, and would definitely recommend if you enjoy funny, honest women. 4/5

Faceless by Alyssa Sheinmel
I don't often read YA but I was drawn in by the cover. This follows Maisie's journey after she is the victim of a bad accident that destroy part of her face. She gets a partial face transplant and realises that she is no longer the girl she used to be as she struggles to find her own identity and get back to her old life. Overall I enjoyed this book, it was well written and insightful. I did find it a little slow at times and occasionally found it shallow and a bit tiring when Maisie would whine about not being pretty anymore but on the whole it was a decent read. 3/5 

Comics....
(Limbo by Dan Watters)

The Wicked + the Devine Vol.3 by Kieron Gillen & Jamie McKelvie
I loved the first two volumes of this series, which makes it extra sad to say this was a total disappointment. They decided to get a selection of different artists to do five of the six issues which made it confusing working out who the characters were in the different styles. One of my favourite things about this series is Jamie McKelvie's stunning artwork and some of the artists chosen were not to my taste. The story also didn't seem to really go anywhere and the big cliffhanger at the end of the last book didn't get addressed. I'll still pick up the next book but that will be the decider in whether I keep going with it. 2/5

Batman Confidential The Bat and the Cat by Fabian Nicieza & Kevin Maguire
(read in single issues) This is a five part story from 2008 about Batgirl and Catwoman's first encounter. Catwoman steals Commissioner Gordon's notebook and Batgirl chases after her. After Catwoman reveals her reason they begrudgingly work together. This was a fun, fairly light hearted story with a decent amount of action and plenty of familiar characters popping up- especially when Batgirl fights her way through Arkham Asylum. As a big fan of both characters (particularly Catwoman) I really enjoyed this mini story. 4/5

Clean Room Vol.1 by Gail Simone
(read in single issues) This was a really dark and creepy horror comic about a journalist who is investigating the suicide of her boyfriend and the self help book he read prior. This leads her to guru Astrid and her strange clean room- a place that reveals your deepest fears. It's not very often I scare easily but I found this genuinely creepy and disturbing. The artwork went perfectly with the story and if you like your horror dark then this is one for you. I don't think I'll be continuing with this as it got under my skin a little too much... 3/5

Batman: Year One by Frank Miller & David Mazzucchelli
Written in 1986 this was Frank Miller's retelling of Bruce Wayne's first year as Batman. We get it from two perspectives- cop Jim Gordon new to Gotham and Wayne trying to fight petty thugs and make a difference. I did enjoy this, it was dark and gritty and gave an interesting spin on a classic story but it was typical Miller i.e noir, inner monologues and prostitutes. What is Miller's obsession? In this Selina Kyle was re-imagined as a prostitute that inspired by Batman becomes Catwoman- her story is very vague and mostly sidelined which dropped my score for this book. For the artwork alone though this would have got top marks. 3/5

Limbo by Dan Watters
(read in single issues) This was a six issue mini series about a detective who has no memory or identity after nearly dying but getting saved by a voodoo queen who loves mixtapes. The pair get drawn into a crazy rabbit hole that combines noir, demons, surreal and clever story telling, 80's style and beautiful neon dripped artwork. I absolutely loved this even if I don't totally understand what happened! 4/5

Single issues...


  

 


My favourite single issues I read recently were Jonesy (I'm really enjoying this mini series and issue 1 is my favourite so far), Faith #1, The Unbelievable Gwenpool #1 and my favourite of the Limbo covers #6. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.