Feb reading round up...



This month has been pretty productive in terms of reading so thought I would do a quick round up of the books I've read...

The Stone Rose by Jaqueline Rayner
This is one of the many novels that accompany the TV show, and the first I've read. I thought I'd start with a book from tens era as he's probably my favourite, and Rose is my favourite companion. This was an enjoyable easy read that was mainly set in Ancient Greece, and captured the characters really well. I felt like this could have easily fitted into series two as an episode. The Stone Rose was packed full of ten and Rose moments, so makes a particularly good read for fans of the pair. 

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson
This was a thriller about a middle aged woman who has amnesia and forgets everything every time she goes to sleep. She begins to write a journal and starts to realise she may not be able to trust the people in her life. This sounds like a brilliant premise for a story, but I found it really slow and predictable. It also pushed the boundaries of neuroscience to a ridiculous level.

The Girl in 6E by A.R. Torre
What can I say? I was disappointed with this thriller, and found the story too predictable. You can read my full review here.

Happy Slapped by a Jellyfish by Karl Pilkington
I think this is the only Karl Pilkington book I hadn't read, and was also one of his first books. Each chapter is about a place he has (or in some cases hasn't) been and his account of his visit. The book is packed full of his usual wit and "karl-isms" and is a very entertaining read. 

Saga Volumes 1,2, and 3- Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples
This is a sci-fi/ fantasy comic book series focused on a couple who are soldiers from opposing sides of a raging galactic war, trying to find safety for themselves and their newborn child. In short this series is AMAZING! It has everything, but at the heart is a story of love and family. Their are so many fantastic characters and the story just gets better and better.100% recommend! 

iZombie Volume 1-4 by Chris Roberson & Michael Allred
This was a fun horror comic book series focused on Gwen a fully functioning zombie who had to eat a brain a month to survive. Every time she ate a brain she got flashbacks from the previous owners life and helped them with their unfinished business. Helping her along the way was her ghost friend from the 60's, and a geeky guy who once a month turned into a were- terrier. The story was fun, and there were a lot of references classic horror fans would enjoy. I'll be reviewing this series in full next Monday.

You can find me on Goodreads here!

2 comments:

  1. danniella josephine3 March 2015 at 19:27

    Before I Went to Sleep made me so tense - I read it in a day! Now when I think about it, it was rather silly :)


    Dannie x
    www.famousinjapan.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it started off well and I raced through it too, but I just couldn't help feel it got a bit stupid... :) x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.