Book review: Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty...



I picked up Apple Tree Yard on a whim to complete a book offer, having read the fairly vague but mysterious blurb on the back. I tend to be put off when I don't know much about the story, but decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did, as it turned out to be much more than a typical thriller. 

It was a little slow to start, setting the scene and introducing us to the protagonist Yvonne a middle aged, happily married scientist. The story  starts with her meeting a mysterious stranger and them starting a passionate affair. Then without wanting to give anything away the story spirals from there, which is where the plot gets interesting. It's definitely a book that packs a lot of twists, even until the very end,  and Doughty is very skilled at building an electrifying suspense that makes you want to keep reading.

Another thing I really enjoyed about the book was that the main character was very human, and sympathetic. I think the fact the author is female definitely made her more relateable (sometimes I find male writers really don't get female characters right...) and the plot never strayed away from being realistic. I raced through the second half of the book and after finishing the last page (that packed one final punch) felt very satisfied with the ending. If you are looking for a thriller that is clever, well written and full of twists I definitely recommend Apple Tree Yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.